Are you getting enough sleep?
In today’s health focused world everyone is aware of getting your 5-a-day and fitting in exercise where we can, but are you getting enough sleep? Don’t get us wrong, be it our busy work and social lives, it’s hard to fit in those z’s.
In a recent study by the National Sleep Foundation, results suggest that sleep is directly linked to your physical health and emotional vitality. Dr. Zee, a professor of neurology has stated that,
“Sleep is important for mental function: alertness, memory consolidation, mood regulation, and physical health.”
So the question is, how much sleep do you actually need?
There is a lot of information available, which will all tell you different things as to how much sleep you need. The standard answer to this question is 8 hours, which is not hugely inaccurate.
However, the reality is that it depends on your age. The National Sleep Foundation analysed the results of over 300 studies on the topic and came back with these suggestions:
- Newborns (0 to 3 months): 14 to 17 hours of sleep
- Infants (4 to 11 months): 12 to 15 hours of sleep
- Toddlers (1 to 2 years): 11 to 14 hours of sleep
- Preschoolers (3 to 5 years): 10 to 13 hours of sleep
- School-aged children (6 to 13 years): 9 to 11 hours of sleep
- Teenagers (14 to 17 years): 8 to 10 hours of sleep
- Young adults (18 to 25 years): 7 to 9 hours of sleep
- Adults (26 to 64 years): 7 to 9 hours of sleep
- Older adults (65 years or older): 7 to 8 hours of sleep
Considering that's roughly just over a third of your day for most of us it makes sense to go the extra mile in making your bed a sleepy sanctuary right?
There are many factors that will affect your ability to sleep but we suggest you start with your bedding. To help you catch those much needed z’s we suggest investing in quality bedding. Organic Bamboo Lyocell Sheets are incredibly soft and silky which will tempt you to bed rather than staying up for another episode of your favourite show.